Observe: I received the September newsletter for the Center for Child Protection via email. It stated that so far this year they have provided 3, 957 services to children, 3, 845 services to adults, and they have administered 605 forensic interviews.
Reflect: The Center for Child Protection, not to be confused with Child Protective Services, is an invaluable asset to children who have been abused and their families. The Center does work closely with CPS, however their jobs are very different. CPS receives notice that a child is/may be being abused or neglected and responds to the call with a visit to meet the child. If it is determined that the child has been abused they then come to the Center for a forensic interview and potentially for therapy as well.
After interning at the Center last semester I was blown away by their dedication to helping children have better lives. Every single person (employees, volunteers, and interns alike) loved being there and truly had a passion for what they were doing. It is important that children, particularly after being abused or neglected, feel safe and welcomed and the Center ensures that this is the feeling children get while embraced inside their walls. I was in the program internship which meant not only did I get to help some of the fabulous staff members with projects they were working on, such as golf tournaments and Project Graduation, but I also got to spend some quality time with the most important folks there--the kids. These children inspired me with their positive outlooks and resilience. Before going into forensic interviews children are given time at the Center to play games, build puzzles, and do other fun activities with volunteers/interns such as my self as well as with a staff member. Almost all of the children I had the pleasure of meeting were energetic, smiling, and full of life. Sometimes it was hard to believe they had been abused, in other cases the signs were more obvious, but the children did not let their difficult experiences prevent them from going on with life and meeting (and trusting) new people. I am so proud of the work I did at the Center and I hope to be able to volunteer there again when my schedule. The Center for Child Protection is an amazing organization that is making a difference in the lives of children and their families every single day.
Comment #1 (Blog 4): This is really sweet! I think many times we go in with the mindset of writing a blog about things we disagree or find offensive and wrong. Your blog reminds me that there are good things happening out there, and communities and organizations can work when there is a common goal. You mentioned how every worker and intern was passionate about their work and it was visible in the children's actions. I would love to volunteer at the Center and experience first-hand the close knit community that is established in order to help these children succeed.
ReplyDeleteComment 8: This sounds like an incredible program! From previous experiences, I also think it is amazing how kids are still so full of life even with the hardships they have already encountered at such young ages. This sounds like a great program to be involved with.
ReplyDeleteAs a current intern, I can attest to this. I feel very fortunate to be working with such an amazing team of dedicated people.
ReplyDelete