Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Shutting it Down...Literally (Blog Post#7)

Observe: So the government is in a shutdown...still. I subscribe to theSkimm and the email they sent out today contained this link right --> here. The article talks about the current state of the shutdown and the deals that seems to be constantly in progress, yet not really going anywhere.

Reflect: Let me start by saying that I do not keep up with politics and our government nearly as much as I should and therefore I still don't really have a grasp on why the shutdown occurred in the first place or why it is still in effect. That being said, my first reaction to the shutdown was that the government was trying to outdo every two-year old in the world by throwing the largest temper tantrum.
I have to admit that after reading the article my opinion didn't change much. I saw Congressional members as being older than 2, but only slightly. The conversations seemed similar to exchanges I witness between students that are about 3-4 years of age at the daycare center where I work. The section discussing conservative Republican's complaints after Boehner's proposal had me flashing back to a fight between two kiddos...

Kid#1: "Miss Saraaaaa! He won't give me all the puppets and I want them!"
Kid#2: "I was playing with them first and I'm not done with them. I gave her one puppet already."
Me: "Well you each only have two hands, so what if you each get just two puppets? That way you each have one for both of your hands."
Kids shouting over top of each other: "No, no, no! I want them!"

Clearly, much like these 3 year olds, our government officials are having a hard time compromising. At least it only took me a few more minutes to persuade the kids that no one needs all the puppets and that since they were friends they should be kind and share. The government on the other hand is on day 16 and counting. Here's hoping they figure out how to put on their big kid pants and compromise pretty soon.

**Ask and you shall receive, I woke up the morning after I wrote this post to discover that a deal had finally been made**

2 comments:

  1. I love the comparison you made between our governments behavior and those of children. It is sad what people will do just to get their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kaleigh. The comparison is awesome and really highlights that our governmental leaders need to grown up and learn how to share, communicate, and work together - much like we teach our young.

    ReplyDelete