Observe: I'm reading a book called Daring Greatly by Brené Brown (which I would highly recommend). In it Brown discusses the power that being vulnerable holds.
Reflect: Power and vulnerability are two words that are not often associated with one another. We see power as being held by a select few people. These people are leaders, they are bold, and we admire them. We see vulnerability as weakness; it is something people fear and strive to avoid. Yet if we look at the powerful leaders we so highly admire we are sure to find people who have been and continue to be very vulnerable. Business owners, CEO's of charitable organizations, founders of non-profits, and the President of our country have all had to dare greatly and be vulnerable in order to achieve the power of their current positions. We look up to the people on stage, but we fear having the spotlight on us. When we see other people being vulnerable we consider them to be courageous, however when we experience a vulnerable moment we shrink away embarrassed. It's really quite confusing how we are able to admire a particular quality in one person, but at the same time be ashamed of the trait in ourselves.
Brown's writing has helped me to see the positive side of vulnerability. She has given me the desire to set my fear to the side (although let's be real, even though I have the desire, actually doing this is still incredibly difficult). I, as many social work students, want to make a change in the world. I want to make an impact on people's lives and inspire them to get through the challenges that they are facing. Thanks to this book I have realized that in order to do this I am going to have to step out of my comfort zone and into the arena.


I really like you tie vulnerability to power and how we perceive it as a strength in others but a weakness in ourselves. I think this concept highlights how difficult it can feel to be honest with ourselves, but that self-reflection and openness can lead to personal growth, which in turn, can help one advocate for the rights of others.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you were able to compare how others feel when their vulnerable, to how we feel. It is important to remember that even the most seemingly important people have been vulnerable as well.
ReplyDelete